In Christianity it’s either you are acidic or basic, or nonetheless you are either hot or cold. There is nothing like neutrality.
On Wednesday August 30, 2017 in the year of our lord, PENSA KNUST witnessed a power packed ministration of Lady Olivia Ellison a third year publishing student as well as the assistant Republic Hall overseer.
She enunciated on the theme, “The Burden of the Churches” with scriptural references from the book of 1 Corinthian 11:38. The word ‘burden’ can be known as a heavy load or responsibility. She also added that Apostle Paul even in his state of persecution still harbored the thought of the church in his heart and mind.
Using the churches in revelation letters as case study she uncloaked and unmasked the burden of churches which still persist today.
EXPOSITION ON THE THEME
- One primary canker that still persists in today’s church is that, most church folks have turned away from their first love. She relented that due to environmental pressures such as school fees, CWA etc., the church has taken their focus off from their first love. Don’t let your circumstances determine your love for Christ, she urged.
- Secondly, another burden of the church she pin pointed was on how to remain faithful in times of trial. Revelation 2:10, James 1:13. Many believers want to enjoy the crown of glory with God but not the crown of suffering. Staying faithful always has become an individual challenge in today’s church. God knows our suffering but He wants us to remain faithful in the church.
- The third point she brought bare on the issue of the burden of the church was that, some believers still hold on to the false teachings. The error of the church at Pergamum and Thyatira was that they fell to the false doctrines of self-proclaimed prophetess Jezebel. Our doctrine determines our character. The results of false doctrine is that it drives you away from the fruits of the spirit. False doctrine corrupts our life as a believer. The bible says Christ is the foundation.
- The last but not the least thing she highlighted was that the church was having the appearance of Godliness but denying its power. Some of us look spiritually on fire but inwardly we are dead. Jesus is coming soon. She cautioned us to be watchful.
- The final thing she spoke concerning the church’s burden was that, the church is a lukewarm church. She paraphrased Apostle Eric Nyamekye’s account that ‘the seed in you is an assurance but it can be influenced by the environment’. The church is full of Luke wormers, she called out. In Christianity is either you are acidic or basic, there is nothing like neutrality. People are not showing their real character but Christ is telling us to repent. Amen
[WRITTEN BY THE EXCERPT CREW OF THE EDITORIAL COMMITTEE]