“A Christian has no right being in a fight unless it’s a spiritual fight” -Charles Stanley
On Wednesday, October 25 at the Queen’s Hall Dining Hall, PENSA KNUST were ministered unto by Deaconess Martha Agyemang an alumnus of Wesley Girls Senior High School and the current president of the Ladies Wing on the topic “fighting the good fight of faith”, which also happens to be theme for this year’s ladies week celebration .
Her main scriptural reference was taken from 1 Timothy 6:12-17.
According to Deaconess Martha, fighting the good fight is not a physical brawl but a silent one. This fight goes beyond human imagination and moreover it’s not canal (Ephesians 6:17). In other words, it is battling against the desires of the flesh.
Galatians 5:16,17 draws our attention to the fact that as Christians we are always at war with the desires of this flesh, and therefore we are always in a perpetual and daily battle with the things of the world
She also professed that fighting a good fight is a call to a race that is a race against self. These goodness fight is about originality not comparison. Here using herself as case study, she sighted that she doesn’t compare herself to anyone but rather she is in competition with herself
Moreover, she hinted that fighting the good fight is a call to take hold of your eternal life as well as a call to guard what has been entrusted to you. As you walk about remember you have Christ in you. Rev. 3:11- she added
She also surmised that, when a child of God fights the good fight he/she is fighting against the schemes of the devil Ephesians 6:10-12. She highlighted that, one of the devil’s schemes to woo people to his side is through nudity, and another sign is feeling busy to pray.
Hindrances to fighting the good fight f faith
- Temptations and trials Luke 4:1-9. These temptations might come from food, pride of life etc. These temptations are closer to us than we think.
- Wrong company
- Fear and shyness 2Timothy 1:6,7
- Time wasters for instance sleeping will you should be awake eph5:16
How to effectively fight the good fight of faith
By putting on the full armor of God that is:
- The breastplate of righteousness. A breastplate shields a warrior’s vital organs from blows that would otherwise be fatal. This righteousness is not works of righteousness done by men. Rather, this is the righteousness of Christ, imputed by God and received by faith, which guards our hearts against the accusations and charges of Satan and secures our innermost being from his attacks.
- The helmet of salvation
- The shield of faith Hebrews 4:12
- The sword of the spirit
- The belt of truth
Through Fellowship with other brethren Hebrew 10:22 and also having a full walk with God. For us to walk with God it demands a life of purity and discipline Romans 12:1 admonishes that our body is a living sacrifice therefore it should be holy and acceptable
She ended her sermon by leaving the body of Christ with these few words “If not for anything remember you have somewhere to go and a reward to obtain, don’t compromise on your Christian love for without faith it will be impossible to please God “. 1 Corinthians 3:13
[Written by the Excerpt Crew of the Editorial Committee]